For some reason, in the middle of May, I have a nasty cold. I have no idea where this came from! At first I assumed it was allergies, but it has gotten worse and worse. Bleh. I also started my Maymester course “Symbolic Logic,” which apparently requires 4 hours of homework every single day. Whew. Just gotta get through these next few weeks!
Since I have a cold, I decided to make Broccoli Cheddar Soup! I also embraced the fact that it’s not 100 degrees outside like usual. It was actually a little chilly… Weird!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup: (Serves 2)
- 1/2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/4 medium chopped onion
- 1/8 cup melted butter
- 1/8 cup flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 lb fresh broccoli
- 1/2 cup carrot, julienned
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Sauté onion in butter. Set aside.
- Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and add the half & half.
- Add the chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper. Return to heat and add cheese. Stir in nutmeg.
Now I’m off to bed. I need sleeeeep! See you tomorrow bloggy friends! 🙂
What’s your favorite meal to eat when you have a cold?